This content has been archived. It may no longer be relevant
Senior University Georgetown, a nonprofit organization providing lifelong learning opportunities for adults 50 and older in the Georgetown area and beyond in both physical and virtual classrooms, seeks to fill the position of Office Assistant. It is part-time with an expectation of approximately 20 hours’ work per week. Specific qualifications and a listing of duties and responsibilities are enumerated in the following position description. Additional information about Senior University is available at www.senioruniv.org.
The physical office of Senior University is located on the campus of Southwestern University in Georgetown, and the majority of the work is expected to take place there. Exact working hours are somewhat flexible, although the office has traditionally been open Monday through Thursday.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, a current resume, and the names and contact information for five professional references. Applications will be reviewed as received, but must be received by December 7 for full consideration. Information should be sent to email@example.com.
Office Assistant Position Description
Office Assistant, Senior University Georgetown
Nature of Position
Part-time: 20 hours per week on average
Reports to Executive Director
Scope of Responsibility
The Office Assistant, under the direction and supervision of the Executive Director, provides administrative and clerical support for the effective operation of Senior University’s business affairs. This support includes, but is not limited to, the key duties and responsibilities enumerated below.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides a professional presence within the Senior University office: answers telephone promptly and courteously, monitors email correspondence and replies in a timely manner, takes initiative in resolving problems and responding to questions.
- Processes bills and payroll obligations in a timely manner, subject to the treasurer’s oversight, by utilizing Quick Books or through credit card payments.
- Performs errands such as trips to the post office, bank, printer, or other concerns.
- Supports the Executive Director and the Board of Directors by making copies, communicating electronically, and performing any other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Tracks member applications, donations, and registrations for classes and trips, providing data input as necessary.
- Manages supplies and orders or reorders items as necessary.
- Provides support for the Board of Directors and the Executive Director by coordinating and scheduling both regular and special board meetings and the annual membership meeting.
- Assists the Executive Director in tracking progress toward the attainment of strategic objectives.
- Supports class delivery for both in-person and distance presentations, including Zoom, On Demand access, and the details of in-person sessions such as name tags, classroom signage, and the like.
- Makes the logistical arrangements for the Annual Meeting and the meetings of the Board, and supports the work of the Board by distributing appropriate materials and information both before and after meetings.
- Provides support for the officers, Board members, and committee chairs of Senior
- University in response to requests. Maintains the records of Senior University, including the archived records and backups as specified in Senior University’s Policies document.
Skills and Knowledge Required
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, including electronic messaging.
- Ability to interact effectively with all constituents of Senior University and to project a
- favorable image of the organization.
- Competence in managing an office, including responding to messages and communications in a timely manner.
- Familiarity with the current electronic and data management technology necessary for in-office management (e.g., google, Quick Books, Microsoft Office, and Zoom).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.